San Juan de Aznalfarache is a town in the province of Seville that is located next to the capital and on the banks of the Guadalquivir River. Its dominant height from a hill and its proximity to the river make San Juan de Aznalfarache a privileged location in the Sevillian aljarafe.
The municipality has an area of 4 km² and a population of 21,195 inhabitants.
Its proximity to the capital of Seville makes San Juan de Aznalfarache a dormitory suburb of the metropolitan area and a multicultural municipality. It has a cooler climate than Seville in summer due to its altitude and the regulatory influence that the Guadalquivir exerts, with great flow, in a significant part of the town. On the other side there are a large number of aquifers.
The geographical location of San Juan favours the local economy as it is very close to Seville and is a communication hub between the capital of Seville, the Aljarafe region and various towns in the Guadalquivir valley. This has allowed San Juan, based on the services sector, to develop an important commercial network, with the presence of large department stores and shopping centres.
San Juan de Aznalfarache has an important communication network and sustainable means of transport, highlighting Line 1 of the Seville Underground, which connects the municipality of San Juan with other municipalities and with the capital of Seville. To this is added a multitude of bus lines of the Seville Area Transport Consortium.
The archaeological remains, which tell us about the origin of the municipality, have made it clear that San Juan de Aznalfarache is a municipality where many historical and geographical circumstances concur, shedding light on its historical past.
The first known settlements date from the time of the Iberians, that is, they were the first settlers. In Roman times it was called Osset and it became an important city that even minted its own currency.
During the Al-Andalus period it was called Hisn-Al-Faray, which means Viewpoint Castle, from which the current name will derive. The fortress that gave the place its name was built between the years 1196 and 1197. Later it would be the residence of the poet-king Al-Motamid.
By order of Ferdinand III, the Christian conquest was carried out by Master Pelay Correa. In the year 1248 it would pass into the hands of the military Order of “San Juan de Jerusalem”. This is where the first part of its name comes from.
Its privileged situation intensifies its strategic enclave throughout history, especially in Turdetan and Roman times, highlighting the existence of Lake Ligustino in the lower Guadalquivir River, a place where commercial exchanges with Phenicia, Greece, Rome and Carthage were carried out, leaving San Juan immersed in these commercial circuits.
San Juan de Aznalfarache is currently considered a dormitory suburb of the metropolitan area. Thanks to its strategic location, the municipality is a communications hub between the capital of Seville, the Aljarafe region and several towns in the Guadalquivir River plain.
Its dominant height from a hill and its proximity to the river, since it is located on the banks of the Guadalquivir River, make San Juan de Aznalfarache a privileged place in the Sevillian aljarafe, being considered the best balcony from Aljarafe to Seville.
San Juan has an important communication network with sustainable means of transport.
By road: there is extensive road communication and the SE-30 connects the municipality with the centre of Seville in five minutes.
It has several bus lines from the Seville Area Transport Consortium.
Bicycle: there is a platform on the SE-30 to access Seville by the iron bridge. There is also a wide network of lanes that connect with different municipalities in Aljarafe.
Underground: two stops on Line 1: San Juan Barrio Alto and Barrio Bajo, with stairs and an elevator that connects the latter station with the neighbourhood of El Monumento.
By the river, there will be an investment project for the development of the municipality in the future.
The excellent strategic location of the municipality has allowed San Juan to develop an important commercial network. As a consequence, there are several important shopping centers in the area such as Hipercor and Carrefour and shopping malls such as Alavera and Cavaleri.
In addition, Canal Sur Televisión’s headquarters are located in San Juan.
From an industrial point of view, the Industrial estate “Eurocei” and “Arrocerías Herba”, the largest rice packing plant in Andalusia, stand out.
San Juan is part of the Green Corridor of the Metropolitan Area of Seville that runs through the Guadalquivir Valley and that connects different municipalities with each other and with the city of Seville.
In addition, there is a green route of large parks: Parque Valparaíso, Parque de los Pitufos and Parque de Baterías.
Located on the banks of the River, the municipality has the possibility of conceiving projects for piers, recreational, sports, environmental spaces, etc.
With the aim of recovering the local winemaking tradition, the “Lagar de Osset” line of wines is being produced and marketed through synergies between large, medium and small companies. It is about highlighting the winery located in San Juan, from Roman times, called Osset and presenting flavours that recall the primitive ways of production of that time.
In addition, San Juan is part of the towns that make up the Rice Route, being one of its specialties seafood rice.
The municipality, due to its orography, viewpoints, its natural light and various urban and natural structures, has been a benchmark for the film industry for more than 30 years that has served as the setting for great films and series such as “Juncal”, “7 virgins”, “Oro”, and more recently for the BBC, “Mother-Father-Son”.
The building that was the residence of the director and the offices of the Cala-San Juan mining railway is known as Casa Minas de Cala. It is one of the most representative civil monuments of San Juan de Aznalfarache for being a symbol of the industrial past of the municipality. Currently there are vestiges of the train tracks on the banks of the Guadalquivir.
It is a multifunctional space designed by the architect Aurelio Gómez Millan (1898-1991). It follows a wide program of uses (devotional, teaching, funeral, entertainment) conceived by Cardinal Pedro Segura Saenz (1940).
The other large building in the complex is the old church of the Franciscan convent, today the parish of the Sacred Hearts, in which the paintings of the main altarpiece stand out.
The Office of Culture of the Junta de Andalucía, through the Andalusian Institute of Historical Heritage, has restored the five original canvases of the painter Juan del Castillo, which constitute part of the Saint John Baptist altarpiece preserved in the current church of the Sacred Hearts of San Juan de Aznalfarache.
Monument declared Asset of Cultural Interest (Law 16/1985, of June 25, of the Spanish Historical Heritage) registered in the General Catalogue of the Historical Heritage of Andalusia (Law 14/2007, of November 26, of the Historical Heritage of Andalusia).
The Interpretation Centre was completed in 2011 and is located in the Plaza del Doctor Muñoz Cariñanos, in the neighbourhood of El Monumento of San Juan de Aznalfarache. The visit allows the viewing of archaeological remains from the Turdetan (3rd century BC), Roman and Muslim periods.
Visiting the Archaeological Interpretation Centre of San Juan de Aznalfarache we can learn and understand what life was like for the Turdetans – descendants of the ancient Tartessians, equivalent to the Iberians in that Andalusian area – and how wine was made in Roman times in the winery of Osset.
San Juan is the birthplace of great flamenco artists, painters, sportsmen, writers and intellectuals such as Romero San Juan, Amantina Cobos, Veronica Espino and it is also the residence of personalities such as Otto Engelhardt, among others.
Due to its proximity to the capital and being the first town of Seville’s Aljarafe, San Juan has always been a place of passage, Sevilla gateway and Aljarafe gateway, which has contributed to its population being open, welcoming and supportive, At present, 80 registered nationalities coexist, which allows us to enjoy a multiculturalism that we celebrate with the “Fair of Cultures”
The Ossetana coin is a coin that was minted in the Roman period in the town “Municipium Iulia Constantia Osset”, Roman denomination of what is now San Juan de Aznalfarache
The City Council of San Juan de Aznalfarache has recovered this part of the heritage and gives great economic value to the AS OSSET as a means of exchange in the town’s shops, strengthening the local market economy and San Juan families.
The Ossetana coin symbolizes the four pillars on which the project is based. The economic revitalization, represented in the promotion of internal consumption thanks to the participation of the businessmen of San Juan; heritage development, with the recovery of its history and solidarity, which is intended to be generated with the participation of citizens in a project that will allow them to collaborate in the prosperity of the household economies. It is a project of the whole town that is born from citizen participation and the collaborative economy.
Variable rebate up to 95% in favour of constructions, installations and works that are declared of special interest or municipal utility due to concurrence of employment promotion circumstances that justify such declaration.
All constructions, installations or newly implanted works, executed in the municipality of San Juan de Aznalfarache, may obtain a rebate in the tax quota in the event of Employment Promotion circumstances when, during the execution of the construction, installation or work, and during the first year after the completion of the work or exercise of the activity, direct or indirect employment is generated (through subcontracting) in unemployed, resident and registered people in San Juan de Aznalfarache, with a minimum service of 9 months before the date of application of the bonus.